Sunday, June 07, 2009

Life Support

Life Support Life Support by Tess Gerritsen


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a fast paced medical thriller which I enjoyed.

When I first started reading it I wasn't sure because it seemed as if the author was just showing off their knowledge of medical procedures, but this doesn't carry on and the thriller aspect kicks in.

Basically there are very rich, elderly residents of a retirement home volunteering for experiments to prolong their lives, and at first this seems to be working, until they start dying of strange symptoms. It turns out that the doctors giving them the treatments are getting their "medicine" from questionable sources which haven't been screened against a certain disease. An ER doctor makes a connection and starts to investigate, putting her life in danger when she is discovered to be getting too close to the truth.

The story certainly kept me gripped but I did find the ending slightly rushed and there was no clear explanation of how they found out where to "rescue" her from when she was in danger. There was a bit of a leap there.

This was written in 1997 and some of it did seem a bit dated, although the "fountain of youth" concept does seem more plausible 12 years later.

I think I have read a previous Tess Gerritsen novel and would possibly read more.


View all my reviews.

No comments: