Monday, June 15, 2009

Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Well I enjoyed this one. I know, shock horror I enjoyed a classic! Well it was a Virago Modern Classic so a bit more recent which helped.

It is set in the late 19th century and is the story of Mary Yellan who moves to stay with her Aunt and Uncle at Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor when her mother dies. It is not a typical inn though, there are no guests and the coaches pass on by without stopping. The landlord (Mary's uncle by marriage) is a wrong'un and is involved in smuggling, and her poor aunt keeps quiet to keep the peace with her drunken, violent husband. There are various unsavoury characters and you aren't sure at first who is on whose side.

Not to spoil anything but I did think there was something not quite right about one of the characters early on in the story and was right about them. This didn;t spoil the story though which had me gripped all the way through.

In fact I have even bought another 3 books by DuMaurier as I liked it so much!


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

I loved all those early du Mauriers.