Thursday, July 02, 2009

Wimbledon

Wasn't Wimbledon great in the 80s? McEnroe, Connors, Borg, Lendl - my mum used to reckon Lendl didn't wear any underpants but surely he couldn't have gotten away with that with the short shorts they wore then?

Then came Agassi the showman, and after that it all got a bit boring, with the big servers and no rallies to speak of. I stopped watching.

But this year I am really enjoying it again. The fact that we have someone with a real chance of winning helps. But can Murray do it? I think he will get to the final but up against Federer I'm not sure he can actually win. Yes he's beaten him before but we'll have to see. If it is a Murray - Federer final I shall be glued to my seat like I was in the 80s. Come on Andy!!

1 comment:

Danuta said...

Totally agree, it's a lot more exciting! I don't know who to support though, I'm a huge fan of Roger Federer, but it would be great to have a brit win - it may even end the UK recession! Especially if Jensen Button wins the F1 too!
I used to have a massive crush on Ivan Lendl, so thank you for reminding me of him. I even drew a 4 foot high picture of him for an art project - never noticed about the pants though - how young and naive I was...