Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I bought this book after an ad on Goodreads for the author's second book. I think I will be getting that one at some point too.
The main character is Camille, a newspaper reporter in Chicago who is sent back to her home town of Wind Gap to cover the story of the murders of two little girls. She left over 10 years ago to escape the clutches of an overbearing mother after the death of her sister from illness.
When she returns, she is not particularly welcomed, especially when she goes to visit old school friends on the pretext of getting quotes for her story.
Her family are totally screwed up, everybody in town knows everyone else and all their business, at least they think they do, but who knows what goes on behind people's closed doors.
The first part of the book I wasn't overly enamoured with but it picked up and I raced through the second half as the twists and turns drew to the conclusion.
I can't really say any more about it without giving anything away, but if you like a good thriller and damaged characters then this is a book for you.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: