Friday, January 27, 2006

the weekend novelist

Hmmm, seems like the "40 days to more imaginative writing" has fallen by the wayside! I did manage to get to Day 4, but the mammoth task of making a list of everyone I had every met in my life felt a bit overwhelming and I just couldn't get round to it!
BUT... I now have 2 more writing books. The first one should take you through the process of writing a novel in a year by just working at weekends. This one is unsurprisingly called "The weekend novelist". I started to read that but in the meantime heard about the National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo. This happens every year in November where thousands of people sign up to the challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. This amounts to 1667 words per day. At the end of the month you submit your work for word count verification. However, with it presently being January, I have kind of missed the boat this time round. But, there is a book called No Plot, No Problem written by the guy who runs nanowrimo. So you can basically do the challenge whenever you like. And the great thing is, you focus all your time on trying to get 50,000 words written that you write and write anything you like just to get a first draft. Making it any good comes later. I am DEFINATELY going to have a go at this. He suggests starting on the 1st of a month, so next Wednesday is it then. May start Monday seeing as there are only 28 days in Feb so i need to make up 2 days, it's only fair.
I have also made an agreement with a friend of mine, (this was before I got No Plot..) that I will have written one chapter by the 1st April and he will have written a song (these are both first drafts). If I turn up with a 50,000 word novel, he's gonna be spitting feathers!! Hahaha!!! I need to do a couple of preparatory things suggested in the book before I start and then off I go, all guns blazing! Watch this space!!!

No comments: